May 20, 2011

When A Sports Team Leaves You


It's something I've read about happening in other cities. It sounded about as unpleasant as I could have imagined, but from a distance I could never fully relate, could never fully appreciate the emotions involved. But now it is happening to my city...it's happening to me. A professional sports franchise that I've followed closely since it's inception is packing their bags, loading the trucks and relocating to another city. The NHL Atlanta Thrashers are moving to Canada. A sucker-punch to the gut is a lame cliche to describe how it feels, but it really is the best analogy for the moment.
Blame for this will be analyzed, blogged, and twittered for days, weeks, and years to come. But as a powerless hockey fan, my initial thoughts turn to my memories. I was there when the franchise was announced and granted to the city of Atlanta. I was there when the logo and team colors were unveiled. I was there when the brand new stadium opened their doors to the public for the first viewing. I was there as a season ticket holder on opening night. I was there through the inevitable painful early years, suffering through defeat after defeat. I was there when the first high draft picks started to blossom, when the team seemed to be taking shape. I was there for the first, long-awaited home playoff game. I was there when the promising young team floundered and lost their way, when coaches were replaced and favorite players traded away. I was there in the passionate post-game/post-season discussions, debating the flaws of the team, worrying always about their future.
And now that future is gone. That future painfully belongs to the fans of another city. The sport I love most has abandoned me, and it's hard not to take that personally.
I was there with my family, with each of my 3 sons, sharing my passion with each of them, on their own individual levels.
My sons will still play hockey as long as the rinks remain available to them. They'll still follow hockey with the same enthusiasm and passion. But their innocence in regards to team loyalty, like the team itself, is gone forever.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

My heart goes out to you all.
Whats left but to become hardcore Falcons fans?
Hardcore Sabres fans?